ELDER MICHAEL SHAWN RICKS SERVING IN THE COLOMBIA, BOGOTA SOUTH MISSION FOR
THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS

Thursday, November 12, 2015

November 8, 2015 - Elder Godoy, and the Hotel Emporium!‏

Dear Ricks Family,

This past week just as every other one has been another blessing here in the mission. But this last week pushed me even harder, to greater bounds, and to higher expectations. What a blessing it was for me to here that my family is just doing so awesome. It was wonderful to see all the beautiful pictures of my new little niece Emma and to really realize that i am officially an Uncle. How about that? What a blessing. 

Last Sunday President Baquerizo invited my companion and I to a stake conference here in Bogota were Elder Godoy would be presiding. So... we went! And it was Awesome!! Elder Godoy is from the same city that my companion is from and about 2 years ago Elder Godoy talked with him and told him thanks for serving a mission and like 22 months later he saw him in his mission and thanked him again. It was pretty cool. Elder Godoy talked on and on about the family and more than anything on the way a Husband must and has to treat his beloved Wife. I learned so so much from him and everything he talked about all I could see were my two parents. You two really are amazing. I have much to learn from you Mom and Dad so that I can become a parent like you two and like MISTER JAMERS!!!! Quick story.... so Elder Fernandes and I got to the chapel early to give a greeting to every one at the stake conference like President Baquerizo had asked us. So we were out front doing our thing and then Elder Fernandes had to go to the bathroom. So we went to the bathroom and right as we got there Elder Godoy was walking out, and there were quite a few Elders out front of the bathroom and he said "Elders I know that your President asked for you all to give the greeting but how about you guys do what you do best and that is go to the streets and invite everyone here!" SO..... embarrassed and ready to go we went! Elder Fernandes found an older man named Alfredo and we invited him to church and he accepted. We were the only ones that actually had an investigator at church and it wasn't even our ward. Alfredo cried during almost the whole meeting, telling us that he has never felt so good in his life. As we were even walking to the chapel he said I'm sorry for the way that I'm dressed. I accidental drank and smoked last night and I know that it was wrong, but I promise that after today I will never do it again. He promised to stop smoking, drinking, and he accepted a baptismal date. He said that he has never felt part of such a big happy family. It truly was awesome.

On Tuesday for the first time, I had to direct and lead the Leadership Counsel with President. With all the zone leaders and the sister leaders. I was pretty nervous at first, but I did an outstanding job. The best part is always when you give an amazing demonstration (Practice) and everyone just loved it. It was a very spiritual meeting and I learned a lot. We drove home with President and just shared a lot of stories with him and Sister Baquerizo. 

On Wednesday Elder Fernandes and I had to go find a hotel and book it for almost 72 missionaries for the big Christmas party that we are planning. It was kinda cool. I felt like a business man or something. We booked all 18 rooms or something like that and we are now working out all the travels for the missionaries. We then on Thursday had to have an appointment with a lady that we contracted to make the mission special pins for suits. She totally botched up our order and my comp. kinda chewed her out..... it was awesome though. We got a big time deal on the pins and at the end we bought them all. President was very proud of us. 

From Thursday until now we have been working pretty hard preparing the Zone Conferences that we will be having for the next little while. Starting with next Tuesday. I am pretty nervous but I will give it my all and a little bit more. Elder Fernandes and I have been practicing for the past little while and we are about to do so after I finish writing this letter. Tomorrow we have one or two hours of p day WAHOOO and we will be playing some soccer before we have to go to the offices and finalize everything for the first of many Zone Conferences to come. It will be pretty fun. I will be traveling with President and his family for the next few weeks in the mission car all around the mission. HERE WE GO! ;)

I love you all so so much and I am so proud to be a RICKS. I am happier and healthier than ever. I am finally gaining some weight and all is AWESOME! I know that this church is true and I am so grateful for my mission. For all that I have learned not only about the truthfulness of this gospel, but of how to be a better everything. I am so grateful for every learning experience that has been placed before me and I am growing and learning right now more than ever. I have much to improve on, things to change, and talents to discover, but I know that if I do my part the Lord will do His. I know that Christ is my Saviour and this is His church. HE is at the head, He love me, He loves you, and because of Him we can be an Eternal Family! 

With much love,

Your son, Your brother, Your Missionary, brother in law, and Uncle!!!

Elder Michael Shawn Ricks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.